Handvi or Handvo is popular cuisine of Gujrat, India. It is basically a vegetable pancake prepared with rice and lentils but can be made with many different ingredients. Generally, it is prepared with a filling of grated bottle gourd but the batter can be made in different styles and different vegetables can be used too.
It is a perfect recipe for breakfast or for dinner. Made with different lentils and rice, baked and requires very little oil. If made in the microwave then it takes very little time but I avoid the use of microwaves as it is not good for the health, so I make it on the stove.
If you have stocked batter then you can make in breakfast too otherwise make this in dinner as batter requires fermentation. You can eat with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
Though different lentils are used in preparation I have made this with rice and Urad dal (split black lentils) and used tomato, cucumber, and green chilly for filling. Since I am making it vegan, so I have not used curd for the fermentation but used fruit soda instead.
Servings- 4 Soaking time= 5-6hrs Fermentation= 7-8hrs
Cooking time= 30 minutes
Rice – 3 cups
Urad Daal- 1 cup (Split black lentils )
Green chilly- 3-4
Black mustard seeds- 3tbsp
Cumin Seeds- 3tbsp
Peanuts half crushed-3tbsp
Salt to taste
Fruit Soda-2 small packets or 20grm
Red chilly powder- 2tbsp
1) Soak Rice and lentils after washing properly overnight or for 6hrs.
2) Grind rice and lentils together and make a thick paste don’t add much water and try not to make the rainy batter.
3) Keep batter under sunlight for 7-8 hours for better fermentation.
4) Chop all vegetables finely.
5) Take 1 cup batter in a different pot add 1/2 packet soda and salt. ( Use soda as per requirement for fermenting and size of cup )
6) Meanwhile take a nonstick pan, heat 1tbsp oil, and put 1/2tbsp of cumin seeds, mustard seeds, sesame seeds, and curry leaves.
8) Now put the batter in a pan, spread it but keep thick layer like a pancake.
9) Put the lid and keep baking for 3-4 minutes until it turns brown then turn it over and keep on the other side for 3-4 minutes.
10) Let it cool down for a while and then cut into pieces.
11) Repeat the process for remaining batter.
12) Serve with chutney or tomato sauce.